General Assembly West
10 East 21st St. 4th Floor
About This Class
Having a social media strategy paves the way for successful execution across social channels. Often an individual or organization will say “We/I need social!” and then create handles, post a few pictures and start down a road of engagement that has no end goals, lacks a clear way through and most importantly is lacking any guiding principles. This class is the intro on how to start or step-back and re-start a social media strategy.
Students will walk away with a clear sense of how to begin, what sections to include, how to decide what’s working and what isn’t, the best ways to set goals and begin meeting them, how to engage (or not) with fans/followers and the importance of developing tone, approach, cadence and a clear voice that will help you/your organization connect with a variety of users. We will explore parts of a strategy that are must haves and the ones that are nice to haves and how making a strategy a “working-document” will be vital to digital growth.
- Understanding of the importance of a social strategy
- Background on how to set goals and expectations before creating a strategy
- Information on outlining a social strategy based on goals/needs/desired outcomes
- How to create a social media strategy
- How to get buy-in from the right parties (if needed)
- How to execute the strategy
- Quick overview and tips on measurement, analytics, and updating strategy based on those findings
- Prereqs & Preparation
- Understanding and some use of social media platforms. Including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, WordPress/Medium, LinkedIn.
About the Instructor
Terry Rice, Digital Marketing Consultant – Terry Rice has been in the Digital Marketing field since 2007 – most notably, helping businesses achieve their marketing goals while working at Adobe and Facebook. He’s utilized both Paid Search and Facebook Marketing across several verticals including E-Commerce, Financial Services, and Technology. Combining a mix of creativity and data driven decision making, Terry is an expert at designing profitable marketing solutions. During his career, he’s worked on direct response and lead generation campaigns for companies including, Dell Computers, 1800Flowers, Home Depot, and Best Buy. He holds an MBA from the University at Buffalo, with a dual concentration in Marketing and Business Consulting.